The home of the Chi Eta Chapter of Phi Gamma Delta
Purchased on June 1, 2010 by WKU Fiji, Inc., Fort Armstrong is the home of the Chi Eta Chapter at Western Kentucky University. An extensive renovation was completed summer of 2010. The house features seven bedrooms, study, parlor, TV room, kitchen, four bathrooms, and a full basement. The house sleeps 17 men.
Originally built between 1911-1914, this house was first occupied by Mr. and Mrs. James W. Campbell, who owned a jewelry store and optometry office in the downtown square. After both had passed away by the early 1960s, the house was vacated for a year before being purchased by Raymond Hunt, the owner of a local trailer court, occupying the house until 1967, when Sigma Nu fraternity took ownership of the house. When Sigma Nu built a new chapter house in 2010, the property was sold and purchased by our Housing Corp. (Information collected from Bowling Green City Directories at WKU’s Library of Special Collections.)
In the summer of 2013, brother David Aroh (an alum of Hanover College’s chapter and father of Chi Eta brothers Ben, Joseph, and Daniel Aroh) replaced the wood deck with a new stone patio. The following summer, Fort Armstrong underwent a deep cleaning and received new paint in the common rooms, a new kitchen counter and chairs, and new furniture for the parlor rooms, study room, and the porches.
Each year, the Housing Corporation continues to make small improvements to the fraternity house. At the start of the fall semester 2015, Chi Eta affiliate David Aroh installed a new attic window that features an illuminated white star.
If you are interested in helping with the chapter house through future renovations, donation of goods, or financial contributions, contact Housing Corporation President, Zack Ryle.
The Fort Armstrong Name
The original Fort Armstrong at Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, is the founding site of Phi Gamma Delta. The Founders first met in John T. McCarty’s upstairs corner room in the boarding house known as “Fort Armstrong.” The building was torn down in 1916 despite efforts by the Fraternity to purchase it. The Fraternity was able, however, to buy the foundation stones, and gave two to each chapter.
WKU FIJI, INC.
WKU FIJI, Inc is the Housing Corporation that oversees the Chapter House.